Monday, August 6, 2012

Gratuitous Painting of Bob Prezkovic


Made with Gimp - Lately I've tried to use Krita, then because I couldn't really do anything that didn't look like blobs and splotches ; out of frustration I switched to mypaint and did that little sketch - because my feeling at the time was that I had completely lost any abilities and wouldn't be able to make art ever again ... that little sketch was made in less than 5 mn and restored my faith, then I tried something very ambitious involving a gigantic labyrinth of cubicles filled with little people trapped  and acting in various ways to escape their little space - it was really fun, and then it happened the system started to feel slow, then very slow, a little slower, then it seems to halt, then the mouse cursor was barely moving ... I waited around 10mn and gave up ... I had to force shutdown and lost that drawing.

Then I spent 2 days sulking and won't even start the computer, and finally today I launched Gimp
and made this painting above, it's Bob and he's apparently awkwardly adorable.
His T-shirt says "Fnück".

But that last crash, it was surreal ... was it KDE ?! I only use this environment for the last 2 weeks (before that I only used gnome, then MATE), so far I liked it ...


Anyway, now for something completely different some thoughts on Texture Analysis and Synthesis:

Texture is a ubiquitous visual experience. It can describe a wide variety of surface characteristics such as terrain, plants, minerals, fur and skin. Since reproducing the visual realism of the real world is a major goal for computer graphics, textures are commonly employed when rendering synthetic images. These textures can be obtained from a variety of sources such as hand-drawn pictures or scanned photographs. Hand-drawn pictures can be aesthetically pleasing, but it is hard to make them photo-realistic. Most scanned images, however, are of inadequate size and can lead to visible seams or repetition if they are directly used for texture mapping.

No comments: